Although many of today’s homes have security systems, there are further steps a homeowner can take to help prevent intrusion.
Make sure a home appears occupied is an easy way to divert uninvited guests.
- Invitations to intrusion include:
- Notes on the door
- Un-shoveled snow
- An un-mowed lawn
- Accumulations of mail or newspapers,
- Total interior darkness before a normal bedtime
- An empty driveway
- Carport with no vehicles present
- Make the house look lived in even when away:
- Alternating timed lighting
- Having neighbors pick up the newspaper or mail is a critical security measure.
- Keep doors and windows locked, especially at basement and first-floor levels or where the home is accessible from a tree, porch or other structure
- Inside doors that lead to the basement or garage should also be kept locked