Cleaning your house may not be the most beloved activity, but the end result can be certainly worth the effort. The following are some savvy house cleaning tips to motivate you to get the cleaning done without taking up too much of your precious time:
A Spotless Kitchen
- Sanitize the Sink: Scrub the sink with soap and water, then follow with a spray of vinegar and hydrogen peroxide. Be sure to spray each separately and let it dry in between. The sink is one of the most germ-filled places in your kitchen, so cleaning it should be at the top of your list.
- Freshen the Disposal: Throw a few lemon slices down the disposal to leave your kitchen smelling glorious. You can scrub away the residue by crushing some ice cubes, too.
- Descale the Dishwasher: First, clean out the filter in the bottom of the dishwasher. Small pieces of food can get caught in there over time, which reduces the effectiveness of the dishwasher. Then, place a bowl or measuring cup of white vinegar in the lower level of the dishwasher and run the cycle without adding any dishes. This will remove buildup and make the dishwasher sparkle. This kitchen appliance probably works the hardest, so it needs to be cleaned frequently.
A Beautiful Living Room Area
- Get Organized: Add a basket or container to hold magazines or miscellaneous items you need but aren't sure where to store. Whether it's a counter, coffee table, or side table, you probably have a space in your living room that collects clutter.
- Vacuum: Start from the farthest corner and work your way toward the door. Be sure to overlap as you move the vacuum from front to back so you don't miss any spots. This is a great way to get freshly cleaned carpet without your footprints scattered about.
- Dust the Blinds: Put an old (but clean) sock or glove on, and run your hands along each section of the blinds. This will quickly and easily remove the layers of dirt and dust that have built up over time.
- Clean the Shower Curtain: Throw the shower curtain in the washer at least monthly to keep it fresh and clean. You may not think much about it, but the curtain has a tendency to get mold or mildew stains due to the moisture in the bathroom.
- Banish the Grout: Mix equal parts vinegar and water or make a paste of baking soda and water. Take a small brush, such as a toothbrush, and scrub the grout with the solution. If the dirt and grime isn't fading and the grout is white, consider a stronger alternative, such as diluted bleach.
- Rid the Water Stains: If you have glass shower doors, rub a teaspoon of lemon oil onto the glass two times a month. The water will bead and roll right off. Fun fact, you can also use Rain-X for the same effect.
These house cleaning tips are just a small sampling of tricks to get your home spick-and-span. Whether you're a new or veteran homeowner, there are many shortcuts and unique ideas out there for you.